.

"Black is very slimming. That's why I chose it as my official blog color."
- EmCat







Thursday, February 25, 2010

What I Ate Day 4, Two Responses and Some Cookies


K8 I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I just wish I were you! I meant to say exactly that...we all have things we need to work on and the grass is always greener on the other side of the street, I...um...just didn't say it...awkward pause with crickets chirping in the background...

I must admit there are thousands of women (thousands I tell you) who want to be me. I mean look at me. Who wouldn't envy my dazzling smile, my piercing eyes? And don't get me started on my EARS! These fabulous ears are coveted by the stars themselves! ;-)


I hear you Naomi! Grandpa's genes are going to haunt me for my whole life, but I'm trying not to sit back, relax and tell myself that I'm obese because of my jeans (seriously I'm muffin topping it with these Calvin Kline's)...of course I meant GENES! Because, seriously, it's my own fault I don't (didn't) exercise that much and I eat (ate) garbage food. I feel like sometimes I use my family heritage as an excuse for my poor eating habits and my sedentary lifestyle, but that's a whole NOTHER blog post.

I also agree that there is a ton of info out there, but 1800 calories feels good and healthy to me. Like Haley said, counting calories is the way to go because it works and you don't really have to go without, you just have to minimize it.

My fabulous friend Chela stopped by this afternoon to bring me these babies as a birthday gift. So sweet! Then I told her about how my brain clicked a couple of weeks ago and now it's clicking all the time (how do I stop the clicking?) The clicking has made me allergic to ooohey, gooey delicious yummy cookies. Though once a week the allergy seems to fade away. This week is going to be Sunday and I'm really looking forward to a cookie this Sunday! ...Sigh...they smell so good! Thanks Chela - but I am practicing restraint! I love you my friend, just bring me carrot sticks or a workout video next time! :-)

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast


8oz Rice Milk - 120 Calories
1 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein - 95 Calories
1/2 Banana - 45 Calories
1T Almond Butter - 90 Calories


Total Breakfast: 350 Calories


Snack


String Cheese – 80 Calories


Total Snack – 80 Calories


Lunch


Rubio’s Fiesta Salad – 300 Calories

½ Small Tortilla – 30 Calories


Total Lunch: 330 Calories


Snack


1 Medium Apple – 95 Calories

1T Almond Butter (I love that stuff!) – 90 Calories


Total Snack: 185 Calories


Dinner


3 Slices Thin Crust Margarita Pizza – 390 Calories

Green Salad (Red Leaf Lettuce (10), Carrots (15), Tomatoes (5), Avocado (117)) – 147 Calories

2 T Olive Oil Vinegarette – 60 Calories


Total Dinner: 597 Calories


Total Calories for Day 4:1542


Go here for a great post on temptation.

7 comments:

Chela said...

I'm proud of you!! Don't eat them!! Who is that crazy person that brought you those? I mean come on! I won't make that mistake again. This is great. I will be following you. You can and will do it. I'm just glad I get to enjoy all of your wonderful insight and humor.

neicesusan said...

Em,
You are such an encouragement to me. It is not easy but we can do it together. It really is a matter of making good choices in this world of temptation and not letting our frustrations get the best of us. Sounds easy but it takes work. Let's go to work and do it!

naomi3 said...

Do you like oatmeal? Oh my gosh, I was putting banana in my oatmeal until I discovered blueberries! I put 1/4 cup oatmeal with 3/4 frozen blueberries in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave it all for 5 min. The blueberries burst and then I use splenda. It tastes like dessert! Yummo!

k8theriver said...

of course you didn't offend me, you idiot! i was just pointing out how we all want what others have and we overlook our own talents/strengths/blessings.
keep fighting for this goal of yours but remember--it is probably easier for you to lose your weight than for me to learn to sing.

Em-Cat said...

Maybe K8, but you could probably learn to sing if you really, really, really, really tried...I mean REALLY because you're pretty bad! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Julie and I went to Kauai in January with some close friends. While having dinner, my friend mentioned that his father had died of a hear attack on the golf course. When I asked if his dad had been heavy he said "Not too bad, about like US" Julie kicked my under the table. My friend is about 265 lbs and shorter than I but just that he thought we were similar in size was enough. I came home and said enough. Message sent, message received. I weighed in at 233 lbs on January 11th. Not my heaviest, but too big for my 6'1frame and 40 lbs heavier than I was on my wedding day 26 years ago.

A week later, another friend found out that I had started a fitness program and he challenged me and we bet 100.00 and a dinner out at Roy's paid by the loser for the biggest loss in % of weight with the final weigh in April 15th.

It has really helped having a "partner" in this and the wager has put some value on it. I figure, if I lose the bet but lose some weight it will be worth the hundred bucks.

Counting calories really helps. I keep a journal and write down everything I eat and include the calories. it helps you decide if it is worth it or not. But, the real key is exercise. I try to exercise 45 minutes to an hour at least 5 days a week. By doing that, I can then record the calories burned which really motivates me. I play racket ball 2-3 days a week, swim a mile once or twice a week and walk 18 holes 2-3 times a week.

I weighed in yesterday at 217 lbs. 16 lbs since January 11th and I have not felt like I have suffered. I have given up on any fast food. If I am hungry, I bring apples, banannas and just wait to get home before I eat.

I have the Gleason gene so I love sweets but I know that I have to practice moderation. I try to stay between 1500 and 1800 calories per day but the exercise is the key. I am very blessed to have Julie as my wife. She is a great cook and really goes out of her way to make sure that we have all the right stuff in the house for me to eat and to hide all the temptation stuff that Michael loves to eat.

Julie bought us a thing called a "Body Bugg" at 24 hr fitness. It is a device you wear on your bicep that counts all the calories you burn in a 24 hr period. get one of those. You type in all your calories in the program and it shows you your +- at the end of the day. Very helpful and reminds you of your program.

My goal is to be about 200-205 by the time Scott gets home from his mission May 27th. I told him Iwill weigh less than him for the first time in his lifetime.

You can do this and getting a little momentum will really get you motivated. Just remember to say no to dough and to move whenever you can. Figure out a way to make time to exercise every day and the Lbs will fall off. remember it is a marathon and not a sprint. have a long term, realistic goal and you can do it!

Get Robby involved some how. He needs to be careful as he has the Gleason gene


Love

John & Julie

k8theriver said...

ok,now i'm offended.
not really! don't paste this comment in your next post.